Saturday, January 23, 2010

Rough Week

As I'm sure you've realized from my silence this week it has been a very tough week to put it lightly. On Monday I had the second (of three) chemo treatments. I felt pretty good that night but by Tuesday morning the nausea was back with a vengeance. By 8:00 Tuesday night I hadn't kept down any food or liquid and it was off to the hospital (more about my eye opening experience there later). Thankfully Dad Chang was with me as it was a bit of a fight to get me into a room and hooked to an IV even though my doctor had admitted me ahead of time.

I was there just over 24 hours. It's Saturday and I'm still struggling to keep anything down. Though today I feel a little less foggy and the nausea is subsiding some I'm looking forward to keeping down what I'm eating.

While I was in the hospital Baby Chang figured out crawling and how to pull herself up. Sadly I don't get to spend much time with her but she makes me smile and remember why I'm going through this. In fact when I asked Mom Chang if I could quit she told me sure but she was leaving and taking Baby Chang with her. I guess for now I'll stick with the poison.

The other positive of this week is that I should be half done with radiation. Unless something unexpected shows up on the scans on Thursday there is definitely light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks to everyone who has posted or e-mailed soup recipes! If anyone has a tip on how to make water not taste like salt I'm all ears! Right now the stuff makes me gag.

2 comments:

  1. Kristen, I'm sorry you're having a rough week - I was kind of hoping it had to do with the show opening and keeping you occupied.

    I hope mom or dad chang video'd baby chang's acheivements for you. I'm sure she'll replicate them happily.

    Have you tried crystal light in terms of flavoring water? Sometimes I'm just sick of plain water and I'll use those to flavor. Also my mom is quite fond of putting lemon or lime in her water. It'll alter the taste a bit. Other than that, I'm out of suggestions unless you want to try thee expensive flavored waters they sell (bubbly and non-bubbly). Crystal Light and lemons/limes are cheaper...

    The poison may suck now but the result it should bring should be worth it! And every day, you're one step closer!

    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take care of yourself, Kristen. I'm sorry to hear it's been a tough week, but you're in my thoughts. Try adding sugar to the water - that may at least counterbalance the salty taste.

    - Kim K

    ReplyDelete