Sunday, January 10, 2010

Day 9 - Ring My Bell

In the waiting room at the Radiation Oncology department there is a bell by the desk. On the day you finish treatment you are supposed to ring the bell three times to celebrate the end of the journey. Friday I was sitting in the waiting room and there were three people waiting for a relative.

When she walked out she got to ring the bell. They all cheered and lots of photos were taken. Until that moment I had no idea what an occasion it would be. Right now I celebrate every Friday that I have two days off and that it's the end of another week.

I think I might have to bring a bottle of champagne on the final day of treatment I'm not sure ringing a bell will be enough.

Tomorrow begins week three and I start the day with a blood test. Keep your fingers crossed that my white blood cell count has stayed high, as has the hemoglobin. Hopefully I'll also find out tomorrow how many weeks I have left. After 28 days they boost the radiation but they were unclear for how long. Here's hoping for four more weeks instead of six!

Well, I'm off to bed the morning comes way to early these days. Although there's nothing like starting the morning with a smile and hug from Baby Chang!

1 comment:

  1. I highly suggest Veuve Cliquot as a celebratory champagne - it is so smooth and so delicious... and well worth the celebration.

    I really like knowing about the ringing the bell tradition - you'll be ringing it soon enough!

    ReplyDelete