Sunday, January 3, 2010

New Year's Reprieve

I was granted a reprieve from Radiation on Friday in honor of the New Year. The three day weekend was a welcome respite from the abuse of treatment. In fact by Saturday afternoon I really was beginning to feel human again. I hesitate to say normal because as the Prairie Dad pointed out I don't know the last time I felt normal. But let's not dwell on the morose it's a New Year after all.

On New Year's Day I joined Prairie Dad at his childhood home for their traditional New Year's Day fare. We enjoyed Black Eyed Peas, Cornbread, Cabbage and Chit'lins. Yes the white girl ate Chit'lins. I have to say they tasted like chicken. Well, chicken skin, boiled. If you are uncertain what Chit'lins are I'm going to refer you to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chitlins.

The traditional New Year's fare from my childhood was enjoyed earlier in the day. It included meatballs, veggies and dip, cheese and crackers and little smokies. Rather dull in comparison...

The weekend feasting continued with some help from the Lifetime Vegetarian (I will come up with a better nickname but it's 5:00 a.m. cut me some slack). He provided us with his amazing enchiladas and applesauce cake. LV has decided to help me obey Doctor's Orders as long as possible. I say bring it on!!!! Especially if it's as good as the applesauce cake.

Part of the reason I'm writing at 5:00 in the morning is that Prairie Dad had to hit the road again. He's on his way to the next garden stop of the "Little House on the Prairie" tour, Fayetteville, AR. As always it was hard to see him go. Though I know this job is the best thing for our family it's not easy to believe that when one of us is saying good-bye. Before my cancer diagnosis Baby Chang and I were planning to spend most of February with him in Toronto, followed by a couple weeks in Florida. We are now in a wait and see. Hopefully we will still make Florida.

Finally, to catch you up on the treatment progress I have good news. The tumors (yes there are/were multiple) in my neck have shrunk already! So with the coming of the New Year my one resolution is well on it's way. Here is to a HEALTHY 2010! May all of your resolutions be easier to achieve but equally as successful.

5 comments:

  1. Hey! I like this good news already! May they continue to shrink and disappear and NEVER come back.

    I'm sorry you have to keep saying good-bye to Prairie Dad, but I'm glad for all the time you get to see him.

    Here's to making Florida... if not Toronto!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Ms. Chang! Greetings from Minnesota and the land of the frozen Gophers! I just got your email and read your blog. I marvel at your attitude and bravery. Baby Chang is so lucky to have you as a mom and strong womanly role model. I am so proud of you for facing this head on and if there is anything I can do please let me know. The Dostal Dauers are thinking of you and sending lots of "white light" your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristen,

    Amy was kind enough to forward your email/blog to me. I'll be checking in frequently. You're in my thoughts and prayers and I KNOW you'll come out of this on the other side with nothing but a clean bill of health. Hug your beautiful daughter and be thankful for all the love and support we're all giving you. Hang in there!
    Thinking of you!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. God, you're amazing. Simply amazing. Thinking of you and sending as much healthy, tumor-shrinking energy as possible to Houston.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Kristen- I'm glad to hear you're shrinking already :) You are a tough chick and I have boatloads of admiration for your courage. I think this blog is an amazing thing to do and I can't wait for the entry that says you got a clean bill of health! I'm sending every good though I can muster up your way- stay strong, lady!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete