Thursday, August 4, 2011

Inspiration

Last fall I started running and after a few weeks (and watching Spirit of the Marathon on Hulu.com) I was convinced I should run a marathon.  I even convinced a couple co-workers to at least run a half with me.  Sadly, due to my Thanksgiving get away at St. Luke's Hospital there was no way for me to train safely.  In fact it took me until July to truly find any inspiration to start running regularly again.

However, I found my inspiration along the Mississippi River in Minneapolis.  It was re-enforced at the farm over the 4th.  Lately I've been running along Lake Bemidji in Northern Minnesota.  I'm averaging 3.5 miles every other day.  Some days it's longer like the five miles I did a week ago and some days I find it hard to finish two.  Many days - like this morning - I start off thinking two miles just make it two miles.  Then the music starts pumping and my legs get warmed up and next thing I know almost four miles have gone by.  The best part of my Bemidji runs is cooling down and stretching by the lake or maybe the chocolate milk I get to drink afterwards.  Did you know chocolate milk is the perfect protein to carb ratio for post work-out? 

The thing that inspires me most to run is walking in the door post run and hearing "How's your running Mommy?" or "You all sweaty!".  In those moments I know that I am running for reasons bigger than myself.  I know that already Baby Chang sees the importance of exercise even if she doesn't know that's what it is.  I'm hoping my habits will inspire her to a lifetime of good habits.  Hopefully, if she can learn by example she won't have to fight the big C or if she has to she'll be strong enough to look it square in the eye and give it the finger!

Now if i could only get her to eat fruits and vegetables and drink her chocolate milk!

3 comments:

  1. You know what inspires me? You. Seriously, I just found you and your story...amazing. Best of luck in training for your marathon.

    Oh. And I love chocolate milk for a recovery drink. If it turns out to be not true, I don't want to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You (among others) have convinced me to jumpstart my foray back into exercising with Couch to 5K. I never would ever describe myself as a runner but so many people have said that and then become successful runners.

    You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fruits and veggies I like. Running, not so much! :)

    ReplyDelete