Thursday, August 11, 2011

Dragons and Cancer and Cake OH MY

Everywhere you go, everything you do is touched by cancer.  There are hundreds of sporting events designated as fund raisers.  Ads on TV and the Internet remind you that it affects the young and the old.  No one is immune. 

Recently Prairie Dad competed with his cast and crew in the Dragon Boat Races in Bemidji, MN.  As Baby Chang and I were walking up to watch his second race a rose ceremony was taking place.  A boat of Breast Cancer survivors had just completed their race and were throwing roses into the lake.  The roses were to represent all who had been affected by cancer.  A second boat of men and women who had been touched by prostate cancer joined in the ceremony.  In their boat one white rose was thrown (instead of the red everyone else threw) to honor a member of their team who was just starting their battle.  Meanwhile the Beltrami County Relay for Life organizers had a tent set up offering cake to all survivors, as a way to celebrate their birthdays. 

As Baby Chang enjoyed my cupcake it dawned on me that this disease has become such a part of our everyday lives that no one bats an eye when an event like the Dragon Boat Races take a moment of silence in honor of those who lost their battles, while celebrating those who have survived.  This wasn't a "cancer" event it was a community event.

Recently the families of two very dear friends have begun their cancer journey.  A mother diagnosed with breast cancer and a grandmother with stomach and esophageal cancer.  Each of my friends are finding their way down what can often be a very lonely path.  Even though this disease affects millions every day every one's journey is different.  Though people can give advice and doctors can tell you what to expect no two experiences are exactly the same.  I hope for my friends that my fight can help them in some way. 

As a survivor you become a member of a club you never asked to join.  The one thing that membership allows is for you to be an ambassador for others.  Someone recently asked if I felt like I had become a cancer guru.  They wondered if I tired of talking about my disease or giving advice to others.  I never mind talking about my experience, especially if I think it will help someone else. 

So perhaps it's not such a bad thing that cancer has infiltrated not only the cells in our bodies but events such as the Dragon Boat Festival.  If taking a moment to recognize the journey many have undertaken makes even one person's path easier it is worth it.  My adventure is only part way done but many people have held my hand and helped show me the way.  I only hope I can do the same for others.

1 comment:

  1. I'm grateful that you shared your experience with us, because I have had only cursory experience with cancer - from a friend's mom having breast cancer when we were in elementary school to my dad's brush with prostate cancer in the 4-5 years.

    Not only have you educated us about cancer but you have made us realize how strong you are and how you beat that cancer into submission!!

    ReplyDelete