Monday, August 29, 2011

Bug Warfare

Baby Chang and I arrived back in Houston on Wednesday to enjoy record setting heat.  Apparently it's been going on for quite some time...  Immediately we hit the pool (okay well after a brief nap) it was so warm it was like taking a bath.  Not that I mind, I've become quite a wuss when it comes to cold weather.  We enjoyed a quiet evening in our own beds.  Yes both of us in our own rooms in our own beds it was heaven.

On Thursday we spent time with Little Ms. Bossy.  Baby Chang hung out for a little longer while I went to the most amazing hair stylist.  She's so amazing I waited three months to have my hair cut and let me tell you it was well worth it.  If you are in Houston and need a cut or color call White Salon and ask for Caroline.  You won't regret it.

Friday morning I attempted my first Houston run.  It was sadly NOT meant to be.  Both (yes I have two) jogging strollers had flat tires.  No big deal Baby Chang and I just walked the stroller three blocks to the gas station to get the tires pumped up.  It was a slow amble more than a walk as Baby Chang insisted on pushing the stroller since she couldn't ride.  At one point Baby Chang stopped to get my I-phone out of the stroller, moments later a man honked at us then exclaimed "that just made my day".  "Which part I asked?"  He replied "watching her push the stroller" then off he drove.  I was sure he was going to mention the phone.  At two Baby Chang has become quite adept at using my phone to watch her beloved Bert and Ernie.  After getting to the second gas station to pump up the tires I sadly discovered one of the tires needs to be replaced so home we went. 

That afternoon I discovered radiation has struck again.  This time in the form of cavities.  More than I can even admit too.  Sadly, lack of saliva has done a number on my mouth to the tune of $1100 after insurance. 

Later Friday we hit the pool then had dinner with the Future Tri-Athlete (although she is a Tri-Athlete now so we need to come up with a new name).  Just before dinner is when it happened.  We discovered the bugs.  It started with ants then there was some other unidentifiable creature.  After Baby Chang went to bed and I commenced Operation De-Bug.  Out came the ant traps.  In following their path I found the ants and their friends had enjoyed a three month feast on the cabinet with all the baking supplies and spices.

Saturday morning Baby Chang and I got up early to watch a couple friends in the Clear Lake Triathalon.  They were amazing and considering the heat I was even more blown away at all the athletes.  We enjoyed the morning with the Future Tri-Athlete and her husband.  On the way home we stopped at the Container Store to buy new storage containers for the baking cabinet.  While getting Baby Chang out of the car I noticed what I thought was an errant raisin.  When I picked it up and looked at it, it was moving...  Looking closer I noticed more wiggly creatures inhabiting our car that had been vacant for three months.  I immediately drove to find somewhere to vacuum out the bugs. 

Yesterday, I finally got in that first run.  I took it easy as it was more hot and humid than what I was used to running in.  At least I thought I took it easy but when I stopped I simultaneously wanted to vomit and pass out.  Luckily I was able to keep it together and not end up lying in the middle of the street.  We spent the afternoon and evening with our favorite British family.

Today Baby Chang went back to school (aka day care) and I got the interior of my car shampooed.  It looks amazing.  I don't think it looked this good when it was brand new!  Needless to say Baby Chang and I are banned from eating in the car...  Tonight we spent some much needed time with Ba Ma and Paw Paw (Prairie Dad's parents).

Tomorrow starts the new round of doctor appointments.  Though the big ones aren't until after Labor Day keep your fingers crossed that everyone still thinks the spots on the last PET Scan are nothing.

Well since this has become a book it's obviously time to kill more bugs!

1 comment:

  1. WElcome back to Houston... I'm sorry it welcomed you with humidity, high temps and bugs.

    I hope things go well for you at all doc appts. Sending good thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete