Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Water, Water, Everywhere

When I was pregnant with Baby Chang I threw up every day.  Yep everyday for nearly 40 weeks.  Often multiple times a day.  One thing that got me through it all was swimming laps.  If I could have I would have sat in a hot tub all day everyday but they frown on that when you're pregnant.

After being diagnosed with cancer and hearing I was going to start throwing up again I figured I would be hitting the pool again.  Unfortunately that was a no, no.  Due to the damage that was going to be happening to my skin I wasn't allowed in a salt or chlorine pool because of their drying effects.  At times I yearned to be in the pool.

Since treatment, Baby Chang and I spend a lot of time in the water.  Pools, lakes, the ocean she seems as drawn to them as I am.  Perhaps we were both fish in a previous life...

I've always loved swimming.  Some of my fondest childhood memories involve being in a pool or ocean.  I figured this was because my parents introduced us early to the joys of swimming.  In college I worked at the University Aquatic Center for five years and loved virtually every moment of it. 

Recently I read an article in Whole Living Magazine about the healing powers of water.  I love when someone tells me I'm right...  Anyway, in addition to being a great workout because of buoyancy and the gentle resistance one of the biggest benefits could be a result of the hydrostatic pressure.  Hydrostatic pressure can help in lung function and circulation.  You can get the benefits of hydrostatic pressure in any body of water including your bath tub.

So take a bath and relieve stress while doing the rest of your body good!

1 comment:

  1. I swear that I was a fish too in a past life.

    You gotta go with your instincts - you know what's right for you. I'm glad you get to spend so much time in water now! Makes up for lost time, right?

    You still into luxury soaps?

    ReplyDelete