Sunday, July 4, 2010

Mama's Kitchen is Open

Let me start by saying I hope you all had an amazing weekend full of friends, family, food and fireworks!

Last summer we (Baby Chang, Prairie Dad and I) spent the month of August in New Jersey while Prairie Dad rehearsed in NYC. Since I only knew a few people in the area and going into the city was tricky with a two month old I spent a lot of time in our apartment playing housewife. I was cooking and baking almost daily. Dinner was usually on the table when Prairie Dad got home from rehearsal and on weekends a big breakfast was the order of the day.

Today I remembered just how much I enjoyed that. Saturday I hit the Minneapolis Farmer's Market one of my all time favorite places. I picked up zucchini, rhubarb, raspberries, tomatoes, lettuce, onions, beets, new potatoes, corn and peppers all for a fraction of what it would have cost us at the grocery store. Yesterday I made my first pie, strawberry rhubarb with a streusel top (here's the recipe) to take with us for a 4th of July BBQ. I'm happy to report that it was a hit AND that I can eat it and it tastes good! I'm still having problems with sweets tasting terrible but I digress. After the pie was in the oven I made breakfast -- scrambled eggs with oregano, topped with Avocado, Tomato and Red Onion served with whole wheat toast. Since I had already heated up the apartment I decided to make zucchini muffins. I will admit these weren't as good as I wanted them to be but they aren't bad.

Tonight for dinner we had roasted corn on the cob, Turkey thighs, and Panzanella Salad . I could not stop eating this salad! I recommend spending the exorbitant amount of money for the champagne vinegar. We will be making this salad A LOT this summer it is perfect!.

Believe it or not the cooking frenzy actually started Saturday night with dinner. After having to de-bone salmon with my tweezers. Bobby Flay says use pliers but tweezers was all I had and it worked quite well. On the menu was Salmon with a dill & Dijon sauce, roasted asparagus and rice. Prairie Dad claimed it was the best dinner he's had in months.

Tomorrow night's menu will include a Top Loin Beef Roast with a Mustard Paste, Dill Potato Salad and something with broccoli. We are doing an amazing job of eating through our Farmer's Market Bounty.

Since the first we've been moving into our Minneapolis apartment. It has been a tough move as it is a third floor walk-up and I don't have the strength to do as much as I would usually. In August we will be moving into a larger apartment in Houston and right now I'm contemplating hiring movers. I've never hired movers so if you have any tips I'd be happy to take them! I never thought I'd have homes in multiple places it seems more than a little crazy.

I suppose it's time for a health update as well. It seems I'm still battling an ear infection (I think it's time to see the Minneapolis ENT). I've also developed Positional Vertigo. If you think the room spins when you've drunk too much you should feel what happens when Vertigo sets in! The move is really taking it out on me. Today I haven't left the house and until a couple hours ago wanted nothing more than to be in bed all day. I'm heading to bed soon but feeling much better. Grandpa Chang recommended Dramamine for the spins (he's been here) and it seems to be helping. All that can really be said is "it is what it is", that is my motto for 2010.

I am happy to report that yesterday I hit one of my milestones! I drank a watermelon margarita well half of one. After half I wasn't sure if I was dizzy from the vertigo or the booze...

1 comment:

  1. Well damn, woman... I want to hire you to cook for me. That sounds amazing!!

    I hope you get over the ear infection soon - and is it related to your vertigo? I'm fairly certain that my occasionally questionable sense of balance sober came from some hellish times with ear infections when I was younger.

    Congrats on the margarita - and here's to foods tasting normal again!

    ReplyDelete