Friday, July 16, 2010

Farmer's Market Day

I must admit we haven't done as well eating through the farmer's bounty this week as we did last week. It may be because I over did it just a little but it couldn't be helped. Last week I bought corn, sugar snap peas, green beans, zucchini, lettuce, tomatoes, English cucumber, fingerling potatoes, cilantro, yellow carrots and kohlrabi. I also can't forget the flowers!

So far we have had:
Stuffed Zucchini (thanks Paula Deen)
Green Bean Salad with Tomatoes and Onion (courtesy of Rachel Ray)
Fingerling Potatoes with Dill (Ina Garten's recipe)

Unfortunately we haven't touched:
Corn
Cilantro
Snap Peas
Kohlrabi

Although today I was finally able to find ground fennel for the kohlrabi and I have a recipe for peas with bacon I can't wait to try. Unfortunately our kitchen has been infested with fruit flies so I'm not super excited to get cooking.

Tomorrow is my Farmer's Market Day and the last time I'll get to go here in Minneapolis (unless I load up the car with veggies for the ride back to Houston next week). Right now the only thing I'll be purchasing tomorrow is tomatoes. However, I'm planning to take my camera and spend some time behind the lens which has been neglected as of late. If I can ever figure it out I may even post a few pics...

1 comment:

  1. Cider vinegar in an open-neck container, sealed with saran wrap with a few holes poked in did wonders for me as a fruit fly trap. Definitely googled that one.

    Your farmer's market pickings make me jealous. i can't wait to cook again after doing the dorm thing for 8 weeks.

    I hope you take some pictures and post 'em. Can't wait to see 'em. I'm doing the same thing now that I have time again. And a computer to process them.

    ReplyDelete