Sunday, May 16, 2010

Baby Chang's big milestones

Friday was Baby Chang's first birthday. I KNOW! WHERE DID THE YEAR GO? It seems like just yesterday I was handing her back to my Mom so I could throw up one more time while they sewed my abdomen back together.

On Thursday Prairie Dad and I threw a little party for her in a hotel in Dallas. Many of the Little House cast came and sang happy birthday, ate cake with Prairie Dad's favorite ice cream and drank champagne. Now if you had asked before the party I would have been convinced Baby Chang would dive into the cake with both hands. Boy was I wrong, she didn't even touch the thing. I'm not sure she's actually related to me either because she had two bites of ice cream then nothing. Even when she saw Mommy and Daddy eating she wanted none of it, she could not be bothered.

Fast forward to Friday night and cake #2 again nothing. Well, today could have explained a lot. It was off to the ER for Baby Chang. Since Wednesday she had been running a fever off and on. Last night it seemed to come back with a vengeance and today she seemed a little sluggish. She did great while they checked her ears and throat and didn't even wince when they inserted the thermometer...rectally, and she only cried a little when they put in a catheter to check for an urinary tract infection. All was well, no infection just a little virus that we can't do anything about. Well a virus and teething (which I've been assured isn't causing the fever). Finally, today a tooth started to make an appearance. I couldn't be happier or more miserable watching her go through all of this when nothing seems to make her feel better. Luckily Mama Chang is here for lots of cuddling because did I mention I'm back at work this week.

Every spring the Opera spends a week at the Miller Outdoor Theater (yes outside in Houston it's only supposed to be 90 degrees everyday this week). This year I'll be joining the staff as the Assistant Director. Though I've been surrounded by amazing AD's for years now, who make my job easier as a stage manager, I have no idea what I'm doing. Now in my defense it might be because the last time I saw this show I was in the midst of undergoing cancer treatment so it's a little foggy. Really though I think it's because AD's like Little Ms. Bossy, Airstream Diva and the Hot Cyclist just do it so well you don't know how difficult it is. So while Baby Chang and Mama Chang are hanging out, I'll be pretending I know what to do and trying to make it look easy.

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Baby Chang! My how time flies!

    I hope she feels better soon - being sick is no fun... and having a baby that's sick is no fun either.

    And you're going to rock as the AD, BTW. I have faith in you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Baby Girl! Hope she gets better soon...and when she is better you owe her cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hope baby girl is feeling better. bummer way to spend your first birthday. :(

    ps. thanks for the shout out, KB! I am sure you were amazing.

    ReplyDelete