Wednesday, June 8, 2011

A sight for sore eyes

Well, it has been some time (obviously) not because I haven't had time, I just haven't had much to say lately.  Since I last wrote I had my annual PET scan.  I'm still processing that information it has taken me awhile to be willing to write about it.  When I went in to meet with my oncologist to get the results he reminded me that the most stressful part of being a cancer survivor was the follow-up tests.  Right now for me they come every six months alternating CAT scans and PET scans.

Going in to the test I had no fear.  In the month prior to the test I had seen both my Radiation Oncologist and my Cancer ENT and had been given a clean bill of health.  So you can imagine the shock when I was told the scan wasn't clean.  There were some very, very small spots on my lymph nodes.  Spots that physically no one could feel and they are so small a needle biopsy isn't an option either. 

However, my Oncologist wasn't that concerned but he planned on speaking with my other doctors to get their opinions.  As of right now none of them are concerned.  A million things could have caused these spots.  So we are in a wait and see kind of pattern.  At the end of the summer I will go through the next round of doctor appointments and then they will determine if a new scan is necessary.

Most days I don't even think about it.  Other days when it crosses my mind I am completely comfortable with the idea that "it's nothing to be worried about."  I guess today is a day when I needed other people to know what was happening.  Not really because I'm worried but because I needed to get it off my chest and since you have all been along for this ride I thought I would share.  I'm just a giver that way.

In other news Baby Chang turned two.  TWO I'm definitely in denial where that is concerned.  Except on the days when it is oh so evident she is two.  Like the time I almost left her at the San Francisco Airport.  Instead we had a 20 minute stand off.  I would like to think I won that one but really sitting at baggage claim, close to tears, waiting for a two year old to decide she'd like to do what I wanted probably isn't winning. 

We are currently spending our days in Berkeley, CA with Prairie Dad who is performing with Cal Shakes.  Berkeley is a strange and wonderful place.  I've been running through the UC Berkeley campus and enjoying it's beauty.  I also started taking Bikram Yoga classes.  Really this is my kind of workout the room is 100+ degrees so even when you are just laying down you are sweating.  Unfortunately the vertigo is back with a vengeance making Bikram a little tough...

On that note I had to see a doctor here (hey I made it almost six months with no illness).  I knew I was in California when I was filling out the forms before my appointment and for sex my options were male, female, or transgender.  Only in California!

4 comments:

  1. I was wondering how you've been lately, and hoping that the silence was good news.

    It turns out I was right, mostly. And I hope to be right, fully.

    I'm hoping those spots were just on the scanner or developer or something just like the spots on my dad's pancreas and liver were when he was diagnosed with prostate cancer.

    I'll keep hoping for a clean bill of health.

    Glad you're enjoying Berkley - that's where my parents met and fell in love.

    Feel better! Much love from IA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking of you this very morning and wondering how your summer is! Glad you decided to share your hidden worry.... let us do some of the worrying for you. You are the strongest lady I know. And know some tough broads. :) xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sh**. I assume this is in your neck? Did they tell you how hot (value) it was on the PET?

    I had to deal with something similar. Two nodes in my neck, two separate times. But do remember, PET scans can show false positives. It is not a perfect test.

    I am male.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure if you know, but there is a great online group (email list) of NPC folks at http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/npccancer/ started by an NPC cancer survivor.

    They helped me a lot with my questions when I went through treatment and most stick around to help new people dealing with NPC.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete