Monday, March 7, 2011

How Opera Prepared Me for Motherhood

I have been astonished lately at the correlations between being an Opera Stage Manager and a Mom, so of course I had to share:

  1. Opera:  On a normal day it is possible to hear the same scene over and over for three plus hours
    Motherhood:  On a normal day we listen to "Cows" over and over for hours on end.
  2. Opera:  For six to eight weeks I watch the same show or at least parts of the same show everyday, then a new one for six weeks, and so on.
    Motherhood:  I have seen Lion King virtually everyday for about two months, before that Little Mermaid, next I'm sure Cinderella
  3. Opera:  For hours on end some one is singing very loudly in a language that I don't always understand
    Motherhood:  All day long someone is yelling at me in a language I don't always understand
  4. Opera:  Diva - enough said
    Motherhood:  Diva - enough said
  5. Opera:  I don't always get to be the good guy and often have to say no, even when I don't want to
    Motherhood:  I don't always get to be the good guy and often have to say no even when I don't want to 
I'm sure there are so many more.  Maybe those of you in the industry can add to the list...

1 comment:

  1. I've been called the cast mom more times than I can count; especially in college when I'd make sure everyone got home safely from a cast party.

    If I think of any other good comparisons, I'll let you know. You're pretty accurate already.

    What about costume changes? Quick changes?:-P Or props tracking (i.e where'd that toy/keys/etc. go?)

    ReplyDelete