Thursday, August 12, 2010

Bye, Bye

Today was a milestone for Baby Chang and Prairie Dad. As I walked out the door (twice) to leave them to their own devices Baby Chang smiled, waved and said "Bye, Bye". Closing the door I listened for the inevitable drama queen tantrum and there was nothing. No screaming, no knocks from the other side of the door, nothing.

For me this was epic. Not in the "oh she isn't crying for me, isn't she sad I'm gone" sort of way but in the "yeah, she and Prairie Dad are getting the hang of it!" I knew they would get there I was just praying it would be before I started work in the fall. Unfortunately though Prairie Dad heads back to our home up north on Friday for three weeks. Hopefully, it won't undo the flow they have going.

I'm working on another Bye, Bye of sorts this week as well. After four years, a new job, a terrible pregnancy, a beautiful baby and cancer I've moved out of the place I called home. I have lived in the garage apartment longer than I lived anywhere (and longer than I expected to be there) other than my parents home. I have definitely had more "life" experiences there than anywhere other than my childhood home. Though other than all the cleaning supplies my belongings are gone I've taken my time cleaning to slowly say goodbye. I don't think I'll be smiling and saying "Bye, Bye" as easily as Baby Chang.

Tonight was a step in the right direction as my favorite Brits and I started repainting the apartment. Now there is a blue accent wall in both rooms, which makes it feel a little less like home. Tomorrow night we'll finish repainting and Friday I'll do the final wipe down and clean the floors. When that is done I will return the keys and hope the next inhabitants get as much joy from the apartment as I have had.

1 comment: