Friday, June 4, 2010

Cantonese Cancer

For some reason tonight I found it necessary to look for blogs that talked about Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma. What I found is a number of articles (you can read a couple here and here) talking about a new study that has identified a genetic risk to NPC . I also learned that my cancer is also called the Cantonese Cancer. Once again reinforcing the fact that I may be an Asian Man in disguise...

Actually, what these articles really mean to me is the serious consideration of genetic testing. The Tri-Athlete Goddess who works down the hall from me has been going through the testing. I couldn't begin to describe what she has gone through in the past year that lead her to the testing. However, her experience made me consider my options. Until today I didn't feel the need, now I'm wondering if I need to reconsider for Baby Chang's health.

In addition to the articles about the recent genetic links I read about a Tenor living in NYC and a 17 year old girl living in the UK who were also diagnosed with NPC. I feel a weird connection to both the Tenor and the young girl (neither appear to be Asian Men living in China either). I find it odd that someone in the same business I'm in has been diagnosed with this obscure cancer and then my heart breaks for this young girl. At 35 I struggled to understand what was going on and had a few breakdowns when I couldn't take the treatment anymore. I know at 17 I would have been overwhelmed to put it mildly.

When I finished treatment my radiologist had two of his patients call me, both welcomed me to a club that none of us ever wanted any part of. One had just hit his five years, cancer free anniversary. Now that is a club I can't wait to join!

After my post about the new side effects that I'm dealing with, a friend reminded me to look at the bright side and celebrate life. Though some days that is impossible most days I only have to see Baby Chang's smile to be able to see what is good in life.

1 comment:

  1. You're an amazingly strong person - which I think I knew anyway, but I'm really proud of you for maintaining your (mostly) postive attitude about this whole ordeal. I couldn't even begin to imagine what it would be like.

    I'm so very glad you have Baby Chang, Mom and Dad Chang, Prairie Dad and others to help you through it.

    And thank you for letting people like me celebrate milestones, discoveries, etc with you.

    And you never know, someone who is in a similar situation might stumble across your blog and gain some insight into their own ordeal.

    ReplyDelete